|#1: People Want to Work at Walmart
#2: Walmart Provides Career Opportunities
- Walmart employs over 36,000 associates across New York State.
- When Walmart opened a store in Farmingdale, NY, in March 2007, approximately 1,500 people applied for the 315 jobs available.
#3: Walmart Helps American Households Save Money
- As of April 30, 2012, the average wage for Walmart's regular full-time hourly associates in New York State is $12.74 per hour (Walmart Discount Stores, Supercenters, and Neighborhood Markets).
- Nationally, nearly three quarters of Walmart's store management team started as an hourly associate.
#4: Walmart Insures More Than 1 Million People in the U.S., and Our Health Plans Exceed the Requirement of the Reform Law Passed in 2010
- Walmart saves American households $3,100 each year no matter where they shop, according to a 2008 study by Global Insight.
- In addition to savings and the convenience of one-stop shopping, Walmart offers more access to fresh, healthy, affordable food.
- In 2011, we saved customers nearly $1.1 billion on fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Walmart's $4 prescription drug program has saved U.S. customers more than $4.8 billion on their medications.
- Walmart offers its associates a comprehensive benefits package that provides up-front cash to pay for eligible medical expenses.
- Walmart medical plans are available for as little as $15, and all plans include 100% coverage for eligible preventive services like annual checkups, immunizations and more when associates visit network providers.
#5: Walmart Supports its Local Communities
#6: Walmart has a Positive Economic Impact on the Local Economy
- In 2011, Walmart stores, Sam's Club locations and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $28.9 million in cash and in-kind donations to local organizations in the communities they serve in the state of New York.
- Through additional funds donated by customers, and Walmart and Sam's Club associates throughout the state, the retailer's contributions in New York totaled more than $31.2 million.
#7: Walmart Works with Local Businesses and Suppliers
- Our property and sales tax revenue support basic community services like police and fire departments, as well as schools and provide financial support for vital charities.
- In FYE 2012, Walmart collected on behalf of the state of New York more than $366.3 million in sales taxes and paid more than $106.3 million in state and local taxes.
#8: Walmart is Committed to Environmental Sustainability
- Last year, Walmart spent over $11 billion for merchandise and services with over 2,600 suppliers in the state of New York, helping support 128,467 supplier jobs in the State.
- Our environmental goals are simple and straight forward:
- To be supplied 100 percent by renewable energy;
- To create zero waste; and
- To sell products that sustain people and the environment.
#9: Walmart is Committed to Diversity
- Walmart has a diverse multi-cultural workforce at all levels, employing more than:
- 167,000 Hispanic associates;
- 248,000 African-American associates;
- 42,000 Asian and 5,000 Pacific Islander associates; and
- 815,000 Women (57%).
#10: Walmart is Committed to Making Food Healthier and Healthier Food More Affordable
- Working with suppliers to reduce sodium, added sugars, and trans fats from thousands of everyday foods.
- Providing savings on fresh produce and reducing the price premium on "better-for-you" items.
- Locally sourced produce accounts for more than 10 percent of all produce sold in our U.S. stores.